The mission of Lady Liberty Academy is to have all children be active learners who participate in constructing knowledge and understanding; and provide them with the necessary resources and learning opportunities so they can transform their thoughts used to shape and control their environment.
The cornerstones of our vision are embodied in S.P.A.R.C.: Structure Peace Accountability Results Community. Our vision is to create and sustain a school where there is:
- STRUCTURE. Students, staff members, and parents commit to practicing and supporting school policies and procedures in a consistent and uniform manner.
- PEACE. Students and adults work together to create a calm, safe environment by learning and teaching how to handle and resolve conflicts in non-violent, non-confrontational ways.
- ACCOUNTABILITY. Students are held accountable for their own education; administrators, and teachers are held accountable for students learning and the effective, efficient, and consistent performance of their duties; and parents are held accountable for entering into partnerships with the school and supporting school policies and procedures.
- RESULTS. Administration and staff commit to collaborating together to increase student outcomes and achievement by providing a rigorous, results-oriented academic program driven by the analysis of student assessment data.
- COMMUNITY. Students encourage each other to create a supportive learning community; teachers and administrators work together as a team on the “same page” and actively facilitate opportunities to grow and support student leadership; parents commit to developing strong partnerships with the school; and all members of our school community model and live the core values.
SPARC ignites Lady Liberty Academy’s flame of academic empowerment and lights our path to a better future.
Lady Liberty Academy is characterized by a culture that is orderly, supportive and focused on academic achievement. Our school community emphasizes mutual care and respect. Our philosophy emphasizes a positive approach to discipline, in which the students are gradually led towards self-discipline. Our staff members strive to create a sense of community within our classrooms and throughout the school building.
The Lady Liberty Academy philosophy is based upon four core values; caring, respect, responsibility, and justice. All staff members and students are expected to live by these values. The four core values are characterized as follows:
- We take care of each other.
- We help each other. We notice when someone needs help and we lend a hand.
- We notice when a task needs to be done and we take the initiative to do it.
- We do not hurt each other physically or emotionally. We are kind and supportive of one another.
- We make everyone feel welcome.
- We believe that we are masters of our own destiny and that we have the power to control our lives and shape our future.
- We are committed to the highest levels of academic, social, and personal weaknesses.
- We do our best in every area. We do not do things halfway.
- We follow through on our obligations and commitments.
- We treat one another fairly.
- We strive to do what is right.
- We get involved when members of our community are in trouble or need help.
- We work to improve our school, our community, and the world.
- We treat each person as valuable, worthy of greatness and goodness.
- We accept individuals for who they are.
- We show respect at all times for each other, for property, for differences, and for opinions different from our own.
- We are honest with each other.
- We respect the right of each member of our school community to learn. We teach our students to take responsibility for their actions and to consider the impact of their actions on others. By doing so, we prepare our students to be successful school, community, and world citizens.
SCHOOL YEAR 2017-2018 FACTS
- Year Opened: 2001
- Grades Served: K – 8th
- Current Enrollment: 465 students
- Current Number of Teachers: 37
- Current Overall Number of Staff: 95
Address: 746 Sandford Avenue
Newark, New Jersey 07106
Phone: (973) 623-9005
Fax: (973) 483-0807